Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Dave Ramsey - Oh How I Love/Hate You!

Back in the Fall, Rob and I took and completed Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University at Asbury Methodist. For those of you who aren't familiar with Dave Ramsey, he is a Christian first and foremost, who is basically a financial counselor. He was a self-made millionaire in his early twenties who ended up losing everything. He created Financial Peace University to help people learn how to manage their money. When we started the classes we really weren't sure what to expect but so many people have raved about it, we thought what the heck! Wow...we had no idea what we were in for. We learned about budgets, insurance, retirement funds, etc.

But probably the most important thing that we learned was the power of giving which is Dave Ramsey's end lesson in FPU. The ultimate goal to gain financial peace is to be completely 100% debt free, so that you are able to GIVE to people less fortunate than you. If you have ever considered attending FPU, Rob and I HIGHLY recommend it!


Yes my blog title says I love/hate Dave Ramsey. Overall, I love him. However, there are moments when I can hear his voice in my head when I'm considering buying something. So in those moments I hate him. HA! Just kidding!

This brings me to my newest challenge. Rob and I are challenging each other to go the entire month of February without spending extra money. Of course our bills will get paid, we can still buy groceries, etc. However, there can be nothing extra, which includes eating out, movies, anything that is not NEEDED! This includes not doing anything special for Valentine's Day. We will have to be creative on that day since we can't spend any money. For those of you that know me well, know this month will definitely be a challenge! But I'm determined to prove to myself (and to my husband) that I can do it! So thanks Dave Ramsey!


I'll keep you all posted on my successes from the month!

0 comments: